Basic power sources emwit power at a constant level of 15.
- Redstone blocks are movable power sources which activate adjacent components (not blocks) to a signal strength of 15.
- Redstone torches are movable power sources which output at 15 to their block and the block immediately above them, and can be deactivated by powering the attached block (allowing use as an inverter). They induce one tick of delay. Can be burned out by powering and depowering it repeatedly.
- Buttons emit power when activated to both the containing block and the attached block.
- Wooden buttons provide a pulse for 1 second or, if activated by arrows (fired from a bow, dispenser, or skeleton), until the arrow disappears (60 seconds).
- Stone buttons provide a pulse for 1 second, and can be activated only by players.
- Levers emit power when activated to both the containing block and the attached block.
- Pressure plates power their own blocks and the blocks beneath them.
- Wodden pressure plates may be activated by dropped items.
- Stone pressure plates may be activated only by players or mobs standing on them.
Variable power sources emit redstone power at different strengths.
- Weighted pressure plates emit a different strength based on the number of dropped items.
- Gold plates increase strength by one for every four items dropped, reaching maximum power at 57 items.
- Iron plates increase strength by one for every 42 items dropped, reaching maximum power at 598 items.
- Daylight sensors emit power based on the brightness of daylight, strongest at noon.
- Comparators maintain, compare or signal strength or measure block states (such as container fullness).
- Are directional; emitting current in the direction of the arrow proportional to the difference between the main signal (base of the arrow) and a signal received from the side.
- Maintains input signal strength on output if its sides aren't powered.
- If powered on both sides, will use the strongest signal.
- Has two modes:
- Main > side if front switch is down/unpowered.
- Subtracts if front switch is up/powered.
- Fullness is reported based on the number of slots and whether or not items are stackable. A completely empty container will have a strength of 0, and a full one be 15.
- Tripwire traps are created by connecting two tripwire hooks with string. The attached blocks are powered whenever the string is disturbed.
- Trapped chests emit power at level 1 for each player viewing the chest inventory whenever it is opened.
- Detector rails are activated when a minecart is occupying them.