Amazon DocumentDB is a MongoDB-compatible NoSQL document store. It supports encryption with KMS keys and support scaling compute, memory and storage independently.
- Clusters are sets of a primary and a number of replicas.
- They host Databases.
- Instances respond to queries.
- Replica Instances share storage, reducing the time taken to reconcile writes. They can be spread across availability zones, allowing AWS to initiate a failover to a different AZ in the event of a service interruption.
DocumentDB databases can perform PITR to any time included in the configured backup retention period up to the last 5 minutes. Backups are stored in S3.
- 64TB maximum storage limit, in increments of 10GB.
- Up to 15 replica instances.