OpenTelemetry is an open standard for observability focused on instrumentation, generation, collection and exporting of metrics. It's currently in beta, and formed from a merging of p.r.comp.o11y.opentracing (Private) and p.r.comp.o11y.opencensus (Private).
- Telemetry data is broken down into three key signal types:
- Semantic conventions define the structure of events:
- The Specification comprises the data model, API and SDK.
- The Collector defines a vendor-agnostic means of receiving, processing and exporting data.
- Client libraries perform application instrumentation.
- Some support automatic instrumentation
- Logging is in incubation.